Date:      10 Oct 2003 18:24:57 -0000
From:      tmseck-lists@netcologne.de (Thomas-Martin Seck)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports that should use CONFLICTS

* Adam Weinberger <adamw@freebsd.org> [gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports]:

pkg_add(1) bails out when it reads unknown @ -directives.

> Whether people are likely to install them in parallel or not is rather
> irrelevant. The point is that they conflict with each other, and the
> user should be aware that they will overwrite each other.

Well, to me it was always obvious that, e.g., www/squid would overwrite
www/squid24.

>> Same here. But since squid-2.4 is not officially supported by the squid
>> team anymore, I suggest to remove it completely.
>
> Regardless, they overwrite each other, and thus a CONFLICTS line should
> be added.

Well, I admit that I do not quite understand which problem CONFLICTS
tries to solve. The porter's handbook is rather vague about it. In my
opinion, CONFLICTS is useful but only to point out not-obvious
incompatibilities. Using it to signal every kind of "duplicate file
installation" would make mutt CONFLICT with tin since both install
an mbox(5) document.