Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 1995 15:36:15 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        nate@sneezy.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel build fails?

>Justin T. Gibbs writes:
>>
>> Today's kernel falls over for me:

>> tty.o: Definition of symbol `_ttydefchars' (multiply defined)
>> tcp_output.o: Definition of symbol `_tcp_outflags' (multiply defined)
>> tcp_subr.o: Definition of symbol `_tcp_outflags' (multiply defined)
>> sio.o: Definition of symbol `_ttydefchars' (multiply defined)
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Is this related to Nate's ld changes?  I did a make world last night, so
>> this should be with the new ld.
>
>It *could* be.  I thought I got them all, but it's possible since the
>new ld is a lot less tolerant on multiple definitions and I never even
>thought to try it on the kernel since I assumed there wouldn't be any
>redundant definitions.
>
>Geeze, I thought I had checked it all.  Sigh.....
>

>Nate

I fixed these two by doing something like this:

#ifdef  TCPOUTFLAGS
/*
 * Flags used when sending segments in tcp_output.
 * Basic flags (TH_RST,TH_ACK,TH_SYN,TH_FIN) are totally
 * determined by state, with the proviso that TH_FIN is sent only
 * if all data queued for output is included in the segment.
 */
u_char  tcp_outflags[TCP_NSTATES] = {
    TH_RST|TH_ACK, 0, TH_SYN, TH_SYN|TH_ACK,
    TH_ACK, TH_ACK,
    TH_FIN|TH_ACK, TH_ACK, TH_FIN|TH_ACK, TH_ACK, TH_ACK,
};
#else				<=== Added this section.
extern u_char   tcp_outflags[];
#endif

And then removing TCPOUTFLAGS from tcp_subr.c.  If this is the correct
approach, there are other places (for example in tcp_fsm.h) that need
this treatment.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1