Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 20:16:08 +0000
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What happened to the ports?

Someone, quite probably Johnson David, once wrote:
>What happened to the ports tree at www.freebsd.org/ports, and its associated
>tarball? I'm not talking about cvsup, but the ports.tar.gz. It's been over
>two months since it has been updated.
>
>Using this tarball is the only way I can update my ports tree at work, since I
>am behind a firewall. Is this just a temporary thing, or has non-cvsup access
>to the current ports tree been deprecated?

Due to the upcoming release of 5.0 the ports tree has been frozen for a
while so very little has changed, and of the changes that have happened
very little will have affected you.  However the freeze was lifted today
and the commiters are been busy playing catch-up right now.

I imagine that once the tree calms down a little the port-managers will
roll a new tarball.  Give it a week or so before you start to worry :-)

Kevin
--
kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk