Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 18:46:11 -0400
From:      Andre Chang <andre@arkaine.com>
To:        "'freebsd-smp@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SMP and AMI RAID controller

Hello,

I'm having a problem installing a SMP kernel with a certain RAID controller.
The controller drivers are fairly new and I'm hoping that people from SMP or
SCSI lists may shed s ome light :)

First I'll list the system configuration and info:

hardware:
Intel PR440FX MB (onboard SCSI, LAN)
2 Intel PPro 200 CPU's (same _ numbers)
1 128MB EDO DIMM
1 Intel Pro 10/100 NIC
1 matrox SVGA card
1 AMI MEGARAID 466 RAID w 16MB EDO chip
2 2GB HDD (RAID 1 -mirroring- config)
1 floppy

1 2GB HDD for testing with onboard controller (not in final system)

software:
FreeBSD ZERO.akwc.net 4.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE #0: Thu Jul 27
04:44:16 GMT 2000     root@usw4.freebsd.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
i386

I reverted to testing the release where the fixed amr drivers were
available.

TESTING A:
I've tested doing a FTP install onto the mirrored HDD's of the AMI
controller, 4.1-RELEASE and booting the machine. This works fine. When I
build a kernel that is the same as GENERIC except for commenting out the
following two lines:
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

the machine gets to this point and hangs forever, sometimes locking the
machine:
Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
no devsw (majdev=0 bootdev=0xa0200000)
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/amrd0s1a <hang>

TESTING B:
I've done the exact same as "TESTING A:" but used the spare 2GB HDD on the
onboard controller as the install and boot drive (while leaving the AMI
controller in the system) and the system boots.

Thoughts:
I cant figure out if its the kernel or the drivers for the AMI RAID
controller. I'm leaning towards the amr driver but how does SMP affect that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

 -- Andre.