Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 11:58:15 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problems creating 4.4-alpha test/release cdrom

Wilko Bulte wrote:
> >  - the file is too small
>
> Hardly, as ls -l says:
>
>     6229000 KERNEL

Is this "ls -l" in the loader?  I'll assume it is, since "KERNEL"
is in upper case.  8-).

> >  - the file is not a kernel or a KLD
>
> I'm not convinced 'file' is telling me the truth here [shared libs??]
> but:

[ ... ]

> miata#file kernel
> file: Using regular magic file `/usr/share/misc/magic'
> kernel: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha (unofficial), version 1 (FreeBSD),
> dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

I think this is just because it's a .so; this actually doesn't
seem right to me, though it might just be "file".  If you had
not successfully booted it after copying it over, I'd ask you
to nm it and look for the ld.so stubs.  8-(.

> OK, I copied the CDROM's kernel and copied it to the HD. Boots fine,
> looks a bit silly:
>
> miata#uname -a
> FreeBSD miata.wbnet somename FreeBSD somename #1: Sun Aug  5 13:48:43 GMT
> 2001     root@miata.wbnet:/usr/src/sys/compile/BOOTMFS  alpha
> miata#
>
> So, we can safely assume the kernel make release creates is a working one.
>
> > Most of this looks like either a cd9660 filesystem bug (quite likely) or
> > a burn error (less likely but not impossible).
>
> Starts to smell like mkisofs.

Then the image would be bad coming off the CDROM.  The only
other thing that occurs to me is that your "cdboot" is bad,
or you have a problem with your CDROM drive.  I know I was
not able to boot my Alpha from some CDROM drives, but had no
problem when using my trusty old SCSI CDROM, a Toshiba 3401B,
due to block size problems... maybe you are seeing that?  My
box is also a Miata...

> Whatever, the mkisofs for the install CDs is RRenabled, for the benefit
> of mounting it on a running system. For booting RR is not relevant.

Mostly, I've always netbooted the thing, and NFS understands
lower case letters; it could just be that "kernel" is hard
coded somewhere.

-- Terry