Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 1996 22:25:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        brandon@glacier.cold.org (Brandon Gillespie)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: splash-page on bootup..

> I realize that I'm getting onto very shaky ground and that my thoughts may
> possibly be deemed as sacreligeous, but I digress 8)
[snip snap]
> >From this point, I began to wonder how much work it would be to do
> something like 95 does, splashing something on the screen during the
> probes and bootup sequence (and allowing you to get to them with whatever
> key sequence 95 does, ALT-Tab?).  This could be as simple as reading a
> simple image from the disk or even simpler as a program that just draws
> single pixel scattered shimmering stars and prints 'Booting FreeBSD
> 2.1.x-XXXXblah'--or even as complex as an animated GIF showing the FreeBSD
> daemon searching around with a flashlight ;) (the spash screen would
> disappear at the end of rc file execution--at which point you could fire
> up xdm or stick with getty's).

I have done this once a long time ago, but I newer released the
code for it, I didn't dare :)

> Is it possible?  I don't know, I am not familiar enough with the kernel.
> Just figured I would let my opinion be known. 8)

Sure it is, its a bit complicated if we should support more than
just plain VGA, but that could be done pretty easily.

Do we have any graphic designers here that could draw a nice
FreeBSD "graphics for the dummies" entry pic ?? in say
320x200x256 or 640x480x16, then I'll do the code that makes
it appear :)

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..