Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2001 12:23:04 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Subject:   Re: Problems with corrupted vinum devices...

On Friday,  5 January 2001 at 17:04:47 +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	So, instead, I just copied all the data from the two filesystems
> that had been mirrored and striped, and then did a "resetconfig".  I
> then re-created the vinum configuration with exactly the same
> parameters as I had used the first time, and was able to get vinum to
> init and bring online the "restored" disk devices and rebuild the
> mirrors, etc....
>
> 	We then put filesystems on everything, and copied all the files
> back to their correct locations.  So far as we could tell, this
> seemed to have worked perfectly, and we were done.
>
> 	However, at some point within the next couple of hours (we're not
> quite sure when), the machine crashed, and vinum failed to come up on
> the reboot.  We had to comment out the /etc/fstab entries that
> referred to the vinum volumes, and since then have been trying to
> debug the problems as to why vinum can't find or start any devices at
> all.
>
> 	Following the instructions at
> <http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html#config-problems>, I
> tried pulling the file log information as specified.  The exact
> command I used was (line-wrapped for readability):
>
> 		$ for i in /dev/da2s1e /dev/da2s2e /dev/da3s1e \
> 		/dev/da3s2e /dev/da4s1e /dev/da4s2e /dev/da5s1e \
> 		/dev/da5s2e; do (dd if=$i skip=8 count=6|tr -d \
> 		'\000-\011\200-\377'; echo) >> brad.log; done
>
> 	The first two disk devices (da2 & da3) produced gibberish.  The
> last two disk devices (da4 & da5) produced reasonably intelligible
> output, but instead of "IN VINO" as the first seven characters, I got
> "NO VINO" instead.

Well, I've taken a look at the log file, and in fact all the drives
except the first two have "NO VINO", which is the magic number for
deleted Vinum drives.  This is probably the result of a resetconfig,
and it completely explains the following problems.

I've just checked the source code, and it looks as if I don't log
whether the configuration updates are enabled at all.  There's no
reason to think that they should not be based on the other information
you give, but evidently we never got the configuration to disk.  Did
you get any error messages?

Anyway, the good news is that the data is almost certainly still
there.  You should be able to recreate the volumes with the same
configuration file you used the first time round (don't use
resetconfig first).  If the second plexes were up when the system
crashed, you should use the setupstate keyword for the volumes to
indicate that.

Greg