Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:26:50 +0200
From:      Rudi Opperman <rudi@askas.co.za>
To:        Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: help with cron and crontab mail messages

Thanks for the help - have payed around a bit and it is making more
sense... just a few more issues ...

> /etc/crontab it's in a slightly different format than users' crontab.
> Actually, it's the "main" system crontab table.
If it is not a user's crontab then whose is it ?  (All the jobs are
owned by root ?)

> IMO, it would be better to use it instead of specific users' tables,whenever
> possible, because it's easier to manage the system's global load when you
> have many demanding timed tasks; there's one single point where you can see
> and modify what is scheduled to run.
This seems a good idea

>   What do you mean with "I added the jobs to /etc/crontab and loaded it"?
I meant as root that i ran "contab -u root /etc/crontab" on the modified
crontab file ...
> You don't have to load anything. If cron is running normally, it checks
> every minute the modtime of /etc/crontab and, if it's changed, loads it
> automagically.
Does this also apply to user crontabs (supposing one decides to use them
?)

>   I don't see why you started to get those messages from atrun after adding
> other jobs to /etc/crontab.
After editing the system crontab i ran  "contab -u root /etc/crontab"
... so i loaded the system crontab as root's...
I suppose that answers part of the first question - the default crontab
does not belong to root - who then ?

bye
rudi