Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 20:37:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        archie@dellroad.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any patch for fxp driver?

In article <local.mail.freebsd-stable/200106080007.f5807BA03420@arch20m.dellroad.org> you write:

>It is (was) broken in 4.3-RELEASE with the "SCB timeout" problem.
>Haven't tried -stable though.

The current status on the fxp driver is this:

   + Adapters that are on the Intel 815 motherboard (or derivative designs)
     appear to be broken, and experience the "SCB timeout".  Other adapters
     do not appear to have any problems.

   + This only seems to happen when the link is run at 10Mb/s, and
     may also be dependent on the type of hub it is connected to.

   + There is no difference (that I am aware of) between the old driver
     found in 4.3-RELEASE, and the new driver in -STABLE.  Both have
     the same problems.

   + The driver in -current contains a workaround for this issue, *BUT*
     does not solve the problem on all boards.

   + Intel is in the process of getting me additional documentation
     (errata for these boards), which hopefully can shed some light
     on the issue.
--
Jonathan