Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:30:48 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Dirk Meyer <dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Indicating patch levels

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 01:05:55AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> This is a fair suggestion - bsd.port.mk could only append the suffix if
> it's >0 (I still prefer numerical revisions than arbitrarily-named
> extensions - what happens if you have a secfix and a FreeBSD-specific
> enhancement, do you call it -secfix1-enh1 or something? :)

Important FreeBSD-specific extensions can be given a PATCHLEVEL.  I
think something like this is in order:

.if defined(PATCHLEVEL) && PATCHLEVEL > 0
        PKGNAME=${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}-${PATCHLEVEL}
.else
        PKGNAME=${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}-${PATCHLEVEL}
.endif

Satoshi, I'm in favor of this sort of thing.

Policy deciding whether to have PATCHLEVEL bumped will need to be
decided.  Kris, could you make your proposal on this policy?

Greetings,
--
Will Andrews <andrewsw@purdue.edu> <will@FreeBSD.org>
GCS/E/S @d- s+:+ a--- C++ UB++++$ P+ L- E--- W+ N-- !o ?K w---