Date:      Tue, 1 May 2007 13:25:39 -0600
From:      John E Hein <jhein@timing.com>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   sym links to absolute pathnames in /compat/linux

Are sym links to absolute pathnames supposed to try to look
in /compat/linux first?

/compat/linux/usr/bin/foo -> /bin/foo

I thought I recalled that Alexander said recently they _were_ supposed
to look in /compat/linux first.  But I don't seem to have that
behavior on the 6-stable box I'm using at the moment.

# ln -s /bin/foo /compat/linux/usr/bin/foo
# ls -l /compat/linux/usr/bin/foo
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  8 May  1 19:17 /compat/linux/usr/bin/foo -> /bin/foo
# cp -p /compat/linux/bin/ls /compat/linux/bin/foo
# cp -p /bin/ls /bin/foo
# /compat/linux/usr/bin/foo --version
foo: illegal option -- -
usage: ls [-ABCFGHILPRSTUWZabcdfghiklmnopqrstuwx1] [file ...]
# /compat/linux/bin/foo --version
ls (coreutils) 5.2.1
Written by Richard Stallman and David MacKenzie.