Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 06:50:58 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@obiwan.pmr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: tgetnum wierdness on -current

In message <m0rt26U-000300C@obiwan.pmr.com> Bob Willcox writes:

>Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage wrote:
>>
>> In message <m0rt0MS-000300C@obiwan.pmr.com> Bob Willcox writes:
>>
>> >On -current I have observed that tgetnum will *always* return 65
>> >for the number of lines when running in a remote xterm (running on
>> >a 1.1.5.1 system w/XFree86 3.1.1).  A local xterm or the console
>> >seems to be correct.  Is there a known compatibility problem between
>> >-current and 1.1.5.1 with xterms or is it likely that I'm doing
>> >something wrong?
>>
>> I don't see any problem here, tgetnum("li") always return
>> what exactly specified in termcap, nothing more.
>> It is per-program task use ioctl to get window dims.

>Except that here my xterm termcap entry specifies line number as
>24, yet tgetnum("li") returns 65 when executed in a remote xterm,
>regardless of window size or termcap setting.

What do you mean by "executed in a remote xterm"?
As I understand, you need to check environment (TERM,TERMCAP)
and termcap file on _remote_ system...

>On a related problem I'm having, the ioctl call in setterm() in
>curses is failing on the second and subquent calls to setterm().
>(This is why I saw the tgetnum("li") problem.)  It works ok the
>first time, but resizing the window exposes the failure when the
>application does another initscr().  The application (and curses)
>then thinks the window has 65 rows and misbehaves accordingly.

I don't think that application can use several initscr()s, only one.
But you can use several endwin()s freely, next refresh() must
restore screen modes after endwin().

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -