Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 17:58:41 -0800
From:      Ed Hudson <elh@svic.com>
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>
Cc:        Ed Hudson <elh@svic.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, elh@spnet.com
Subject:   Re: Operating system stability

> From: "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>
>
> Are there any statistics to support the claim that FreeBSD is one of the
> worlds most stable Operating Systems?

    forgive me for taking the bait...

	well, i base this on personal experience with
	SunOS 4.1.4, Slolaris 5.5.1, Linux (some rev 2.0-),
	RISCos, HPUX 9+10, ESIX, OSF1, and the horror stories i hear
	from my friends that used to install SCO and now
	install NT.

	secondly, people have published statistics for FreeBSD
	(and its predecessors) with many months of uptime.

	buy and run what you want.  i work (use) and program
	in a multi-os (unix,nt) environment, and this experience
	leads me to use, and prosthelitize, FreeBSD.

	Linux vs FreeBSD:
	both are EXCELLENT os's, and both benefit from
	their competetion with each other, as do all of the *bsd's.

	i design chips, and write programs that work
	with huge data files.  these two considerations make
	freebsd a better choice than linux (because of capacity
	reasons) for this type of work.

	however, i'd happily use linux any day over any ms product,
	on moral grounds alone.

		-elh

one last ms dig: if the mba's were right, we'd all still
be using vm/cms (or jcl...)