Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 17:51:04 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        jdp@polstra.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup: a newbie's tale.

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> You might have an argument if the supfile was a configuration file
> that was referenced by default when no command line argument is
> presented. HOWEVER, the supfile argument is _required_ on the
> command line. Since it is always specified, defining a default
> location for it seems extraneous and unnecessary.

While discussing this I think I found part of my problem:

root:/usr/local/etc/cvsup# grep -v ^# stable-supfile

*default host=CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_3
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all

As you can see the base directory was set to /usr and indeed below
/usr there is a cvsup/ dirtree containing checkout files. I just
checked some of the other supfiles in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/
and, lo and behold, they all have /usr as base directory.

My guess is that (3.1-RELEASE, ports from Internet, one CVSup performed)
the examples were like this. Since - here it comes again <g> - the
manual does not make clear enough what the basedir will contain -
although we have now established that supfiles are not necessarily
amongst whatever it is - it is not made clear enough that it should
indeed be pointing to something like /usr/local/etc/cvsup, nor why.

Now in my case I thought it best to keep with the defaults as much
as possible. Did not combine supfiles, nor edit them other than changing
the default host. And ended up with a mess below /usr. Unfortunately
since the manual does not specify what files CVSup maintains I don't
know how to repair things. As a guess I would say that moving the sup/
dir to /usr/local/etc/cvsup would suffice, but can not be sure.

Another thing it wouldn't hurt to do is to warn people (like me :) not
to link to the example files. For they can and will be updated when one
updates the port collection. Thereby undoing whatever changes one had
done.

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.