Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 1995 10:32:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        pete@silver.sms.fi (Petri Helenius)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mmap bugs gone yet?

> Joe Greco writes:
>  > And here I thought that's what INN was.  :-)
>
> Me too. And from my experience working at ISP suggests the same. But INN's
> shortcomings are becoming more visible each day. And INN is the most popular
> news-software today.

Hi Pete,

What precisely ARE these shortcomings that you see?  I'm sorta curious.  :-)
INN is a 1000% improvement over C-news for complex environments, and while I
would definitely consider INN to be a work in progress, the fundamental
design philosophy seems to work.

>  > Of course, this doesn't buy as much under FreeBSD as it would under Solaris.
>  > That's not saying anything bad about FreeBSD, by the way, but I do believe
>  > that there is something inherently threadable about news.
>
> I can agree you fully.

(now we just have to devise the tools... sigh!)

>  > Providing NNTP extensions to do NNTP command stacking and/or simple
>  > batch/compression on the fly (for slow links) would be the next step.
>
> Usually you most definetly don't have the CPU cycles to spare for a compressed
> feed, so I would leave compression to the lower layers of networking. Most
> of the routers do low-speed link compression nowadays and it's becoming
> more popular when people upgrade their boxes to more recent software. Also
> they usually manage to even lessen the latency with the compression.
> (when it's done by the routers, not external boxes)

I guess that depends on the system, and the number of feeds, etc...  It is
my (current) general policy to try to scale news servers such that there are
plenty of free cycles - and since many feeds are UUCP, they're already
being compressed by the CPU.  :-)

... Joe