Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2006 07:59:38 +1100
From:      Graham Menhennitt <gmenhennitt@optusnet.com.au>
To:        Christopher Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Block IP

Christopher Hilton wrote:
> If it's at all possible switch to using public keys for authentication
> with ssh and disallow password authentication. This completely stops
> the brute forcing attacks from filling up your periodic security mail.
Are you sure about that? I only allow PublickeyAuthentication ssh2
connections but I get lots of security mail messages like:

Nov 16 01:44:08 maxwell sshd[70067]: Invalid user marcos from 202.54.49.7
Nov 16 01:44:23 maxwell sshd[70067]: reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo for 49-7.broadband.vsnl.net.in failed - POSSIBLE BREAKIN ATTEMPT!

Graham