Date:      Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:30:35 -0800
From:      Lapo Nustrini <lapo@seanet.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   gmirror load problem

I'm trying to create a geom mirror using /dev/da0 and /dev/da1 on a
live system.
The system is running FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE
Its a dual Xeon setup with hot swappable scsi drives.

The standard way I've achieved this in the past is by wiping out da1
and labeling da1 with:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 bs=512 count=79
# gmirror label -v -n -b round-robin gm0 /dev/da1
# gmirror load

Then using fdisk to create a single dedicated partition on the disk,
before moving on to recreating the file structure using bsdlabel, etc...

# fdisk -v -B -I /dev/mirror/gm0
etc...

I've done the above on 4 other similar servers in the past with no
problems.
This time however "gmirror load" returns a "Command 'load' not
available" error.
I thought gmirror must be already loaded but I can't unload gmirror
or see a /dev/mirror directory on the system.

The only gmirror commands which don't error out are:  gmirror label
and gmirror help.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should be looking for to
figure out what is preventing gmirror from loading?

Thanks,

Lapo Nustrini