Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 1995 21:36:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding New Hard Drives: A Major Complaint

On Sun, 19 Nov 1995, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > 	...but this OS does not have a utility that will allow one
> > to add a new drive onto an existing system.
> >
> > 	I've looked at 'man -k disk', and about the only things I
> > find are 'fdisk' and 'disklabel'...neither of which helps in anyway.
>
> That's basically what you need to add a new disk, yes.  Perhaps also
> an editor for /etc/fstab.
>
> Arguably, the user interface is terrible, but you can hardly claim
> it's not there.

Depending on where you sit on the novice to wizard continum, a terrible
interface == no interface.  For bringing a new disk online, I'd say that
the point is way too far toward the wizard end.  Even for fairly seasoned
FreeBSD users, this can be a frustrating experience.  "How do I add a
second disk" probably ranks in the to 10 frequently asked questions.

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============