Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:34:37 +0100 (CET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "VIA '686b southbridge fix applied" & -stable

It seems Randall Hopper wrote:
>I found this in the archives:
>
>   http://groups.google.com/groups?th=4a63e650c2dd8fc5
>
>     Oct 11 11:55:53 ws-ilmar /boot/kernel/kernel: atapci0: VIA '686b \
>     southbridge fix applied
>
>A couple questions:
>
>   1) Is this in checked into -stable?

Not yet.

>   2) What does the fix do?

It fixes the data corruption problem that can occour when you have
a VIA '686b southbridge and a VIA k[xt]133 northbridge.

>   3) Would it be safe to put a Soundblaster Live in a FreeBSD box
>      with a VIA 686B southbridge with (or w/o) this fix?

Depends, it seems this bug is a combination of mb vendors not
knowing how to set the config regs of the VIA chips, and the
SBLive not conforming to the specs. I've had reports that it
works, but also afew that it doesn't...

>BTW, I own an ASUS A7M266 motherboard which has the VIA southbridge.  I'm
>contemplating a new soundcard and considering my options.

The A7M266 doesn't have a VIA northbridge IIRC, so this problem is
not relevant for that board...

-Søren