Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 18:12:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Darren Henderson <darren@bmv.state.me.us>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4.2R, pppd and natd ordering

Perhaps I've missed it but it would be handy if there were a hook for
starting pppd in rc.network. It might help to avoid some problems.

I upgraded a machine from 2.2.8S to 4.2R this weekend (actually a reinstall
to keep it simple). Under 2.2.8S I was using IPFW, natd and pppd with no
problem. After getting everything reinstalled I started tinkering with the
bits and pieces to get it all back to production levels.

Using the same proceedures as before in regards to starting pppd and natd I
started experiencing some very strange behaviors. Most https connections
failed, odd things failed (for instance could do searches on the mail
archives at freebsd.org but couldn't look at the messages etc). This was on
systems being masqueraded by the machine. The machine itself was fine
(unregistered_only option used in natd.conf) so a problem with natd was
indicated. rc.network has messages about natd and user land ppp being
started in the correct order (ppp must start before natd). Apparently it
must with pppd as well.

I was starting pppd from rc.local, natd was starting from rc.network and
being told to use ppp0 as the interface. This failed as natd couldnt get an
address for ppp0 since it was starting first. So I started natd with an
address instead (fixed ip from my isp). That got everyting started but lead
to the problems discribed above.

After a lot of hair pulling I finally got a combination of things together
that worked ok but I'm sure its not optimal, one of my goals was to not
tinker with the standard startup files, (rc.network etc).

I left pppd start up in rc.local, but added the "dynamic" option. If I
didn't do that then with the pppd daemon connected it appeard to stall
natd. Started natd with interface ppp0 again, getting around the address
detection problem (from above) by manually configuring the interface via an
ifconfig line in my rc.conf.

So... what would be the prefered way of starting pppd (in this case across a
dial up so not a trivial amount of set up time) and natd? Perhaps a few
hooks for pppd in rc.network and a knob in rc.conf (pppd_enable) and an
alteration to natd that would allow it to attatch to a device and stay
silent about it not having an address and just picking up and starting when
an address is detected?