Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:10:28 -0800
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Mike Andrews" <mandrews@bit0.com>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Weird sporadic DNS resolution problems

> On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Basically you hit on the real problem for us here.  We all agree that the
> root cause of the problem is some sites are too damn stupid to set their
> nameservers up correctly.  It would be nice if they all went to Bind 8.2.3
> or Bind 9 and were forced to fix their problem.  Unfortunately, this is
> the real world and people are likely to stay stupid, even when you tell
> them that their nameserver is broken -- they just don't care.  Even more
> unfortunately and more importantly to me, we have customers that don't
> understand that it's the other people that are stupid, because "it worked
> before you upgraded, and they didn't change anything, therefore it must be
> your (my) problem and not theirs."  That's what Mike Tancsa and myself are
> up against, and that's why I started this silly thread. :)

	First, as to the technical issues, I agree with both of you. It is
certainly reasonable to figure out what the current behavior is, where it
changed, and how to get it back for people who want the old behavior. After
all, it could even be do to a bug. Nevertheless, I have a problem with
people who cave in to irrational customers.

	I have been there more than once, and it's really not as hard as you might
think to stand your ground. The more pain misconfigured sites suffer, the
more likely they are to fix their misconfiguration.

	In this case, I would simply state, "The other sites are misconfigured. I
will gladly show you the specifics of the misconfiguration and the relevant
standards that they are violating. At some point, we may be able to work out
a sane way to send mail to these sites without sending mail in the wrong
place in the face of real transient problems. But at the moment, we simply
have to insist that sites that wish to exchange email with us and our
customers follow the relevant requirements. There is simply no other way for
different people's networks to cooperate with each other."

	DS