Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 13:19:36 +0100 (GMT-1)
From:      af@biomath.jussieu.fr
To:        murduth@ludd.luth.se (Joakim Henriksson)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to send "start unit" to disk during boot? (solved)

> > I have  been  given  a  DEC  RZ24  (200Mb)  SCSI  disk  which  I  have
> > successfully connected to my PC (133Mhz Pentium, Intel Endeavour  m/b,
> > AHA2940  controller,  IDE  boot  disk). This disk, like some other DEC
> > disks,   does  *not*  spin  up   when powered up. Other DEC disks have
> > jumpers to change this, the RZ24 doesn't seem to have them.
>
> Some of the Digital (all?) rz disks have the spinup parameter in one of the
> vendor specific mode pages of the scsi disk. Try something like
> "scsi -f /dev/rsd?c -m 37 -e -P 3" and change the spinup value to 0 the page
> referenced in the m parameter might be diferent. To find out which page it
> is you should do "scsi -f /dev/rsd?c -m ??" where ?? is from 0x01 to 0x3f
> but maybe in decimal, someone a bit more knowledgable about the scsi command
> help me out! I have only done this on a VAX station using the rzdisk utility
> which works just like scsi but on rz disks :)

Just   right,   Joakim !  scsi(8)  needs  a  template  description  in
/usr/share/misc/scsi_modes to allow the editing of  the  corresponding
mode page. I added the following:

# DEC RZ disks

0x25    {
        {Spinup on power up} i1
}

And then I did "scsi -f /dev/rsd0c -m 37 -e -P 3", changed  the  value
to  0,  saved  the  result and voila, I'm a happy camper now ! My RZ24
spins up at power on. Saves me *much* time and frustration.

J"org,  I didn't need the source code patch for sd.c you suggested, so
I  can't  tell.  My  feeling is that the mount fails precisely because
there  is no delay between the sending of the "start unit" command and
the subsequent operations. But I might be misled.

Many,  *many*  thanks  to  all  for  your  kind  help... Now I have to
eventually fix the hardware problems I still have on that  motherboard
or memory :-(

Have a good day,
_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE