Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:12:24 -0600
From:      Tony Wells <awells@journalstar.com>
To:        Richard Nyberg <su98-rin@nada.kth.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd and syslogd

I tried what you suggested, but still don't see messages from sshd in
/var/log/authlog; I still see login failures from telnet in
/var/log/messages.  I rebooted the machine after I made the changes just
to make sure everybody read the changed config files.
Could I have a conflict in syslog.conf?  The contents of syslog.conf are
listed below:

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/syslog.conf,v 1.9.2.1 1999/08/29 14:19:02 peter Exp
$
#
#       Spaces are NOT valid field separators in this file.
#       Consult the syslog.conf(5) manpage.
*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages
mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
cron.*                                          /var/cron/log
*.err                                           root
*.notice;news.err                               root
*.alert                                         root
*.emerg                                         *
# uncomment these if you're running inn
# news.crit                                     /var/log/news/news.crit
# news.err                                      /var/log/news/news.err
# news.notice
/var/log/news/news.notice
!startslip
*.*                                             /var/log/slip.log
!ppp
*.*                                             /var/log/ppp.log
auth.*                                          /var/log/authlog