Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:18:16 -0400
From:      "Nathan Vidican" <nathan@vidican.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD, IBM Thinkpad A20m, and/or OpenBSD

I understand that FreeBSD uses partition type 165, and that placing a
bootable 165 partition on my IBM ThinkPad A20m really screws things up. (The
system will not start, as it's 'suspend' and 'hibernate' functions also
apparently utilize type 165). My question is this:

#1 - What if I were to install FreeBSD and leave the master boot record
untouched? Could I not in theory then use BootMagic to boot FreeBSD? Or
would this still screw-up the laptop?

#2 - Would installing OpenBSD use a different type of partition
all-together? While I would prefer to run FreeBSD, I could at least run
OpenBSD for backwards-compatability with my other FreeBSD machines. I do not
know if OpenBSD uses type 165, or not though. I've only ever used OpenBSD
2.6/2.7 for the SPARC platform. but I assume that OpenBSd/i386 would be very
similar.

Any arguments, comments, suggestions, or shared experiences on this issue
would be greatly appreciated.

Nathan Vidican
nathan@vidican.com
http://nathan.vidican.com/