Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 1996 12:17:58 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE>
Cc:        "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>, asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami), andreas@klemm.gtn.com, jhs@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: print/gs4

> Maybe we should have some checksum (md5 ?)
> of each file installed from a port or
> package in the "+CONTENTS" file ?

This has been one of the enhancements on my TODO list for a long time.
It happens for more things than just ghostscript, after all, and the
typical trap with the current tools is to install versions A, B and C
of some utility.  At some point, you decide that you don't need the
dreck from A and B around and you pkg_delete then, handily wiping out
the shared files for C in the process ("where'd my emacs go?!") :-) If
there was proper checksumming, the new binaries for C would stay and
only those which weren't replaced in A and B would go.

Like I said, it's been on my TODO list for a long time. :-) I'd always
wanted to simply re-write the tools rather than add enhancements like
this, but I guess at this point I might consider the enhacement
instead.  AFTER I take my post-2.1.5 vacation, that is. :-)

						Jordan