Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 13:44:49 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Chris Morley <Chris.Morley@team17.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD from CD

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Chris Morley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently got FreeBSD(2.1.5) from Walnut creek CDs. I seem to be having
> some trouble installing it on my pentium.
>
> I have 3 IDE disks, wd0 is a 2Gb seagate drive with DOS on.
> wd1&2 are 400Mb ish drives.
>
> I want to put FreeBSD on either or both of these drives. I followed the
> installation instructions in the book and created the partitions
> required and installed FreeBSD with the X-User distribution set. I also
> selected the use of the booteasy boot manager so I could choose DOS or
> BSD.
>
> When I rebooted, it did not ask me which OS to use.
>
> I also tried installing Booteasy on wd0 and BSD on wd2 (and later on 1)
> but at bootup it only let me select DOS.
>
> Can I not boot BSD from another drive?
> Can I get/write a boot manager which will boot from a different drive?
> If not, is there a program which I can run from DOS which boots the
> kernel from the other drive, similar to the one on the distribution CD?
>
> Thanks,
The following should work:

1. Use DOS's fdisk to delete all the paritions your previous FreeBSD
installations created (the installation program prefers a clean disk...).

2. Choose to install on wd0 and wd1 (mark them both when you're asked
what disks to install on). You may also add wd2 in, if you want anything
in it.

3. You'll be first presented with the slices on wd0 (your DOS disk).
Don't change anything there. Simply choose "Quit", and you'll be
presented with the boot block options. Choose to install the boot manager.

4. You'll be presented with the slices on wd1 (there shouldn't be any).
Create the root parition for FreeBSD *here*. Any other partition may go
either on wd1 or wd2.

5. When you're asked again about the boot sector (this time it'll mean
wd1, though I don't think it'll tell you that :-(, choose either the boot
manager, or, even better, a standard boot block.

6. Continue with your installation.

7. When you'll boot from the hard disk, BootEasy will let you choose
between DOS and "Second disk (F5)". Choose second disk, and then (if you
chose to install the boot manager on wd1 in step 5), choose BSD.

The procedure I described above is *known to work* when you have two
disks (wd0 and wd1). I have no machines with three EIDE disks, but I
guess it should work.

> --
> Chris
>
> Team17 Software Limited