Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 17:26:41 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Zhiui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: putting FreeBSD in an extended partition

>>> Good luck booting it.
>>
>> Do you mean as long as I can boot it, the kernel itself has no problem
>> with being putting into a DOS extended partition?
>
> Loader(8) can't grok it and the kernel can't mount it as root.

Actually, that's not entirely true.

The problem with booting is that you cannot mark an extended partition
entry as 'active' (without some nasty, nonstandard hacks).

If that were possible, it would be trivial to improve the loader to deal
with that case.  The kernel most certainly can mount an extended partition
as root, however.