Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:16:12 +0900
From:      Michael Westbay <westbay@seaple.icc.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port/package guidelines (Ant)

Carlson-san wrote:

> The real question is whether we want to have Ant run dependency checkin=
> instead of the pkg system.   I think we do, my opinion is to turn over =
as
> much of the functionality to Ant as possible.  The more it does the mor=
> effective it becomes.

It's still in early development, but in Jakarta commons (although NOT a=20
Jakarta Commons project) is a very promising tool called JJar:

    http://jakarta.apache.org/jjar/

Taken from the above page:

    JJAR is an acronym for Jakarta JAR Archive Repository, an attempt
    at making a CPAN-like service/infrastructure for the Java development
    community.=20

This is like a mini ports dependency system in and of itself.  In fact, I=
=20
think that some of the FreeBSD community with a great deal of knowledge o=
n=20
how the ports dependencies work would be a good fit in this project.

It is a bit flakey right now, but looks like exactly what we will eventua=
lly=20
want for jar dependencies.

Naturally, it runs in Ant.

--=20