Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 00:39:35 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Tomi Vainio - Sun Finland - <Tomi.Vainio@Sun.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Preserving Solaris disklabel when installing FreeBSD?

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 12:20:53AM +0300, Tomi Vainio - Sun Finland - wrote:
> Now I wanna install FreeBSD
> on different slice and use same slice 1/b for swap.  How I do this?

I am not sure the answer to your question; but before wrong assumptions
are made -- we do not support [FreeBSD] slices on Sparc64.  For FreeBSD a
"slice" is an M$-DOS PeeCee BIOS partition.  A "partition" is the
traditional BSD Unix 8 'a'-'h' partitions.

It is my understanding Solaris can boot from any partition (SVR4 slice).
I wonder if you can install Solaris -- creating 4 partitions 'a', 'b',
'c', 'h' (SVR4 slices 0,1,2,6).  Use 'h' for Solaris /, swap to 'b'.
Then boot the Solaris install and untar the FreeBSD bits into the 'a'
partition.

I assume the Solaris bootbocks will be at sector 0, before the label?
Will the Solaris bootblocks load the FreeBSD '/boot/boot1'
(ok boot disk0:a /boot/boot1)?