Date:      Wed, 04 Nov 1998 08:20:08 -0500
From:      "Wyatt Nordstrom" <Wyatt.Nordstrom.wyattn@nt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Q about pnp and nic

Hi all,

I have a question that deals with a pnp nic.
    I'm  running 2.2.7-stable.
    The pnp controller is built into the kernal.
    I have the default ed0 device also in the kernal.
    The nic is a 3com, and is jumperless

dmesg reports that no pnp devices were found.

The nic appears to be recognized.
The ether addr is displayed and a few more items in the dmesg output.
The irq and all is as set by the edo line in the kernal configuration.

no, i have not yet placed it on the network. I do not really feel
comfortable that the nic is configured correctly yet. I'm guessing that
a special line is require ??ed0 xxxx pnp device auto probe?? or
something equally weird.

I'm wondering what I'm missing. My guess is that the ed0 line has
automagically configured the values for the nic even though I have no
clue what the real values are set in the firm. do I need a special ed0
line for pnp cards?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I still have yet to figure
out how the pnp card gets its information set from the configuration
file.

Thanks,
    Wyatt