Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 21:34:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Campbell <brianc@ottawa.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: Multiple swaps slow down system?

> >Due to some debate in one of the usenet I decided to try using
> >multiple swap partitions, one on an IDE drive and the other on a SCSI
> >drive, to see if it increased performance.  I can't say I noticed
> >any performance increase while using the system.
> >However, I find it takes several times longer for a shutdown to
> >complete.  Is there any logic to that?
>
> I don't know why that happens, but I wouldn't expect it to give you
> much of a performance boost, since IDE doesn't do asynchronous I/O (at
> least under *BSD anyway).  If you have a very busy system, I would
> expect it to give you a performance drop, in fact.

Oh?  There's no busmastering IDE support yet?  Is it in the works?

Would you suggesting using SCSI for swap even if the IDE drive has
50% higher throughput?  Is latency an issue?

Any hints for finding out why w/ swap on either IDE or SCSI, shutdown
takes less than 15s, but when using both it takes more than 60s?