Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:01:42 +0300
From:      Vasil Dimov <vd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Erwin Van de Velde <erwin.vandevelde@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restarting services

--jousvV0MzM2p6OtC

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 11:47:46AM +0200, Erwin Van de Velde wrote:
> On Monday 25 September 2006 11:26, Vasil Dimov wrote:
> > IMHO in this case the administrator should be changed,
> > not the way ports operate. Building idiot-proof system is impossible and
> > leads to the:
> >
> > Shaw's Principle:
> >         Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will
> > want to use it.
>=20
> This is not about being idiot-proof but being handy to use. It also reduc=
es=20
> service downtime by immediately restarting the service after update inste=
ad=20
> of waiting for the administrator to restart it.

I think that implementing this feature the right way would be too
complex and would bring too little benefit. By "right way" I mean that
a given service should be started upon installation only if it was
actually stopped during the upgrade process.

Ofcourse if someone thinks that it is worth implementing I would be
happy to be asked
"service xyz was stopped during upgrade, do you want to start it now?" [y]

One could always minimize downtime by doing
portupgrade xyz && /usr/local/etc/rc.d/xyz start

--=20
Vasil Dimov
gro.DSBeerF@dv
%