Date:      17 Oct 1999 14:14:24 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        hosokawa@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem: 3.3-STABLE floppies: ep0/zp0, laptop falls off net

This message started out identifying a problem I had with the
3.3-STABLE/floppies/pccard/kern.flp but it appears there's also a
problem in the normal (non-pccard) kern.flp having to do with
ifconfigging the device and/or setting a default route. First the
pccard thing:

3.3-STABLE pccard kernel floppy has no zp0 (3com 3c589)

    Been using FreeBSD for about 5 years now. Just tried to upgrade my
    laptop from 2.2.8-STABLE to 3.3-STABLE. Found the note about using
    the "pccard" subdirectory floppies and tried it.

    Unfortunately, it thinks my 3com 3c589 PCMCIA card is an ep0 -- it
    has no driver for the correct zp0 device.

    It is able to get its DHCP address and was briefly able to start
    FTP retrieval from ftp.freebsd.org, but speed was about 1KB/second
    on a 1.5Mbps DSL line. Subsequent attempts caused it to fail even
    resolving other ftp*.freebsd.org names despite the fact that its
    nameserver is on the same LAN.

    I'd imagine the 3c589 is a fairly popular card and if ep0 can't
    drive it, then zp0 should certainly be included in the pccard
    floppy distro.

    [This may be a red-herring if the problem identified below is the
    culprit and the ep0 works fine for the 3c589]

3.3-STABLE kernel floppy seems to ifconfig down and remove default route

    I backed out to using the kernel floppy from the normal
    (non-pccard) distribution; it does have the zp0 driver and assigns
    it to my 3c589 pcmcia card.  As before, I tell it to use DHCP to
    get its address and such, which it does fine. After choosing my
    FTP download site and committing, it hangs saying "logging into
    ftp.FreeBSD.org". After the 5 minute timeout, it allows me to try
    a different server, so I try ftp2.freebsd.org. It *immediately*
    returns saying that it can't resolve the host name.

    I turn on DEBUG in the Options menu and try again. Something in
    the holographic shell is reporting that zp0 has been "ifconfig
    down"ed and the default route as been removed. From the HoloShell
    I manually "ifconfig up" the device and "route add" the default
    route. When I return to the GUI screen and Commit, it is now able
    to resolve the name and connect to the server.

So it seems the real trouble may be something in the GUI installer
which is disabling the interface and removing the route for some
reason; possibly some DHCP interaction?  I can't tell for sure and
when I finally got it downloading I didn't stop to try all combinations
which would have narrowed down the problem.

Thanks.