Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 10:53:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Victor M. Carranza G." <victor@usac.edu.gt>
Subject:   How does SUID and SGID work?

I'm trying to get rid of a problem with PC-Pine 3.96 (IMAP mail client).
The problem is that it cannot write a lock file in /var/mail due to denied
write access. In my inetd.conf file, the imapd is started as root, but ps
reveals that the process is owned by the authenticated user, instead of
root, once started.  Instead of making /var/mail world-writeable, I tried
to chown root and chmod u+s imapd, but no success. It keeps taking the
authenticated user ID. I tried to chgrp mail imapd also, 'cause the mail
group does have write access on /var/mail, and then chmod g+s imapd, but
got the same results. What am I doing wrong?

If this behaviour is an imapd security feature, What could be the possible
security implications in turning /var/mail world-writeable?

Thanks in advance.

Victor M. Carranza G.