Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 13:18:52 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Stacey Roberts <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cannot start bind in samdbox?

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 11:46:18AM +0100, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>    Thanks for getting back to me.
>=20
> Forgive me for asking this, but seeing that your procedure is so
> blantantly different to what is suggested in *both* books, is something
> actually wrong in those book?

I'm afraid I've never seen `FreeBSD Unleashed'.  What I told you was
what I just did based on my reading of the various man pages and
experimenting to see what worked --- I make no claim as to authority.
What I did is certainly not the only way to do this sort of thing.
Neither is it necessarily the best way to do it: it is just the way I
did it.

While I do try to give accurate and helpful information, I would hope
that no-one reading one of my e-mails would just implement exactly
what I say willy-nilly without first checking in the manuals and
making sure that they understand exactly what those commands do.

> I mean.., what I'm being told to do in both the Handbook as well as FBSD
> Unleashed., is nothing like what you have suggested here., I'm only
> trying to have things as secure - but standardized as much as I can on
> the machine.

Although my instructions do look quite different to what the handbook
says, those commands will have an analogous effect to the handbook
ones in most important respects.  I can tell you after the fact that
my instructions happen to coincide pretty well with what's given in
the O'Reilly "DNS and BIND" book 4th Ed although their example is
based on RedHat Linux and needs a bit of interpretation to make it
suitable for FreeBSD.

However I do see now that what I wrote was incomplete.  I've ommitted
entirely the questions of named-xfer and localtime, so I shall
certainly be modifying my own setup.

> Thanks for the time, I'd appreciate you (and others') view on what *is*
> supposed to be the standard procedure for running bind in a sandbox.

I'd guess that the authors of the software and the FreeBSD
committer(s) that maintain the software in the FreeBSD source tree are
the highest authority.  After that, the Handbook is pretty good as far
as FreeBSD things go.  Even so, what they say is a guide rather than
official dictat.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK