Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 10:32:15 PDT
From:      Brian Smith <brians@protools.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@wcarchive.cdrom.com
Subject:   Does BSD implement TCP/IP incorrectly?

I saw this in an article about the capture of Mitnick done by
Simson Garfinkle.  Here is the relavant excerpt:

    The attacker who perpetrated the initial break-in of  Shimomura's
    machine  did  so  with  a  technique called IP spoofing. Using IP
    spoofing, an attacking computer can masquerade as another. It  is
    also  possible, using spoofing, for an attacking computer to com-
    mandeer an existing connection between two computers.

    Although IP spoofing sounds like a new technique, it has actually
    been recognized and openly discussed for years. There are special
    provisions in the TCP/IP (Transmission Control  Protocol/Internet
    Protocol) standard used by the Internet that are designed to make
    IP spoofing difficult. The problem is that the IP  stack  distri-
    buted  with  Berkeley  Unix (and now used by most of the computer
    industry) doesn't implement the TCP/IP correctly.

I have read the IP, UDP, and TCP RFC's and cannot recall any chunks of
functionality missing in BSD TCP/IP implementation relevant to IP spoofing.
 Mr. Garfinkle makes it sound as if BSD TCP/IP is severely flawed.  He
admits that he is the not a proponent of UNIX:

	Face it: Unix sucks. It's a research operating system that  never
	should  have escaped from the lab. Unix is a lot of fun for hack-
	ers (I enjoy it myself from time to time), but  it  shouldn't  be
	inflicted  on  millions  of  innocent  users. It shouldn't be the
	basis for mission-critical operations, and it shouldn't  make  up
	the  backbone  of  the Internet or commercial Internet providers.
	You might think this point of view biased. I am, after  all,  the
	editor  in  chief  of  The UNIX-HATERS Handbook. But the fact is,
	most IP-spoofing attacks wouldn't work if Unix implemented the IP
	protocols  properly. Unix is an insecure operating system. We can
	work to make it more secure, but many ongoing  computer  security
	problems result from fundamental flaws in Unix.

I really can't agree with him on his conclusion about releasing UNIX :),
but I am curious about this alleged TCP/IP security hole.

Any ideas?

Brian
(The only really secure computer is is a dysfunctional computer.  I still
like using computers.  QED I must be a security breach. :)

| #include <std_disclaimer.h>   | brians@ngc.com        |
| #undef COMPANY_REPRESENTATIVE | brians@mandor.dev.com |