Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 1998 19:41:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail from NCSA X Mosaic 2.7b5

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Konrad Heuer wrote:

> Has anybody made experiences with video conferencing on a FreeBSD system?

Yeah, I just did it last night.  My side was having a party but the remote
side was a little underpowered.  I think that RC564 was causing some
audio choppiness though :-)

> I've seen the mbone tools in the package directory, but found no information about
> digitizing video input on a FreeBSD driven PC.

One word:  BT848.  Anything Bt848 based (Hauppauge WinCast/TV, STB TV/PCI,
others) rocks, and they're cheap (about $100 now).  Just grab a card, a
camera with a RCA video out, a high bandwidth network connection, and
someone to chat with.  See http://www.freebsd.org/~ahasty/Bt848.html.

> I was successful in using the Network Audio System with my sound card
> using the SoundBlaster device driver. Thus I hope at less audio
> conferencing could work ...

The audio tools don't use NAT.  And unfortunately SoundBlasters are too
unstable to be truly useful for conferencing.  The Crystal CS4231 -based
cards are quite good since they can do full duplex in/out.   My GUS PnP
(which is discontinued (sob)) and Yamaha cards work well.

Contact multimedia@freebsd.org for further information.