Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:45:35 -0800
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [press@apache.org: PRESS RELEASE: ASF Reaches Agreement with Sun to  Allow Open Source Java Implementations]

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 05:10:39PM +1030, Greg Lewis wrote:
> My favourite here would be ORP.  Its done by Intel, so there is enough
> weight behind it (albeit x86 centric weight) and the license is
> essentially BSD (or Apache if you like :) style.  IMO the biggest lack

They're involved with the Mono folks too.

> at the moment isn't in the JVM world (there are quite a number that come
> to mind) its in creating all the run time classes which actually get
> you "Java".  GNU Classpath is pretty much the only attempt I'm aware of
> to remedy it and their status still indicates that they are _aiming_ to
> be compatible with 1.1 (i.e. they're not yet at 1.1 compatibility with
> 1.4 out already).

Yeah, it's grim. It might be a more realistic target once the J2SE APIs
have settled down a bit in the coming years. Either hope for that or hope
that Sun changes their attitude to the Java sources. I personally don't
understand the problems with Sun/Apaches, so I have zero idea what all
the recent news means.

bill