Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:59:03 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        bh@izb.knu.ac.kr, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Compaq

> I obtained a Compaq(COMPAQ PROLIANT 5500) machine by chance.
> By the way, is possible install FreeBSD this machine?

I used to run FreeBSD 4 on this machine very successfully. The
only thing you need to know is that if you want SMP to work
then you need to go into the Compawq BIOS and tell it that the
operating system is Novell Netware SMP for some reason. But
if you do that it boots fine.

> If possible, which version I try installation?

Try 6.1, I can see no reason why it shouldn't work just as well
as 4.11 did for me.

-pcf.