Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:12:39 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Run states (Was: import NetBSD rc system)

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> types:
> Run levels or run states?
>
> It would be damned useful, for every embedded system I've
> ever used FreeBSD for (four now, but who's counting?) to
> be able to say:
>
> o	Start _all_ the standard FreeBSD stuff, I'm using
> 	this thing as my developement workstation.
>
> o	Start _only_ the FreeBSD stuff I'm going to be
> 	shipping, so that I know what will and won't be
> 	in the target environment actually works.
>
> o	Start the FreeBSD stuff I'm going to be shipping,
> 	_and_ start the locally developemed stuff I'm
> 	going to be shipping, since I'm either shipping
> 	or doing a full regression test.

The ability to specify a different boot configuration isn't quite the
same as the question of using a NetBSD rc system or not. To use a
SysV-like system to specify boot configuration requires that
subsystems startup/shutdown be in different files, which means you
have to have something like the NetBSD rc system. I get the impression
nobody likes the SysV configuration specification methods.

Since modern BSD-like systems use /etc/rc.conf extending that would
probably be more acceptable. As a user, I'd like to have multiple
rc.conf files. For Terry's example, something like /etc/rc.conf,
/etc/rc.conf.ship, and /etc/rc.conf.test would be nice. Having to use
SysV-like characters might be either better, or required by the boot
system. Tweaking source_rc_confs to support either one looks trivial.

That just leaves figuring out how the user specifies the run-state,
and how that information gets somewhere that it can be used by
source_rc_confs. But that's just a SMOP.

	<mike