Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 1995 09:07:19 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VLB Disk Controllers

>>That's not saying much. An IDE controller has a much lower command
>>overhead than the buslogic:

>It also has much higher CPU overhead, but we've been down that road
>before. :)

:-).

>>A high command overhead causes slow file system operations for
>>everything except large i/o's.

>Yup, but your whole machine is affected by a PIO device.

That's mainly because IDE PIO is slow, not because it's PIO.  The
overhead for SCSI DMA is not insignificant.  For the BT455C, which
has a DMA speed of up to 40MB/sec (I doubt that my bus can keep up
with this), the overhead for reading from a Grand Prix at 5MB/sec
seems to be about 27%.  This is hard to measure accurately.  I
measured it by running a hog process in the background: on an idle
system it took 7.58 sec (real) and while transferring it took 10.42
sec.  7.58/10.42 = 73%.

Bruce