Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 1995 13:57:27 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU (Richard Chang), FreeBSD-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: problem booting up FreeBSD

> > 	I did a make world last night with the sup as of 9PM PST last
> > night but I think somehow during the make world, it rebooted the machine
> > so now it says that libc.so.2.0 is not there and just reads the disk
> > forever where it says starting up daemons... and then shows the date...
> > Can someone tell me how to fix it? Thanks..
>
> Reinstall your libc.so.2.0 from backup. :-(

I got bitten by this SOB too. I had to recover by FTP'ing a libc.so.2.0 from
a 2.0-current machine. (Thank God for my account on Thud!) The 'normal' FTP
did not work (it needs libc.so.2.0), so I used the statically linked, crunched
one in /stand.

Makes me think: how about putting up a "definitive" tree somewhere,
containing -current source _and_ binaries, so those idiots amongst us can
recover this way? (Kinda like the way I think I remember ref.tfs.com used
to be in the patchkit days).

Mark

PS. What is a 'backup'?

;-)
--
Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa