Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:24:42 -0400
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP kernel on dual board with single proc?

>If you are using a slot-architecture board, then you need a
>terminator in the empty slot.
>
>In general, "BSP" means "Boot System Processor" and "AP" means
>"Auxillary Processor" -- in other words, it thinks it can't
>find the BIOS designated boot processor.

Ahh, that's what it means. :)

>You may find that swapping slots fixes the problem (if, as Mike
>Smith said, you are running a -current that is no more than two
>weeks old).

Already tried that.  Not eager to keep swapping, as I don't want to make a
mess of the thermal goop between the heatsink & CPU (it's not the drying
kind).

>For standard slot processers (e.g., my dual P90), the BIOS has
>always given the right information to the BP (including the APIC
>ID), so it has been rare that it would not run with one processor
>removed (the last time was the first time somone kicked it up
>from 2 to 4 processors).
>

>> Shall I assume it is not possible to run an SMP kernel on this system w/o
>> another CPU?
>
>1)	How old is the build?

cvsup'ed Tuesday 7/27 3.2-STABLE just to be sure, still panics

>2)	Socket 370 = needs terminator, IIRC...

Hmm, I've never heard of a 370 terminator before..  I suspect that the mobo
might be auto-terminating the unpopulated socket and disabling some of the
APIC hardware.

When using 1 CPU on a MP board, is it normal that the board require a
particular socket/slot to be populated first?  This board does not, so I am
wondering if perhaps the logic required to enable this "feature" is
throwing off some of the SMP functionality (which of course would normally
not be needed in a UP situation anyway).  Keep in mind this is naive
speculation be someone who has no experience with SMP anything whatsoever.

>					Terry Lambert
>					terry@lambert.org

Oh bother, I should probably just get another processor while they're still
available.  Then it _better_ work! ;)

Tom Embt
tom@embt.com