Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:17:28 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <cfedde@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Val Kilmer <malaclypse@diogenes.ionet.net>
Cc:        Jesper =?iso-8859-1?Q?Blomstr=F6m?= <jeppe@partitur.se>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bootmanager

Um.  Yes things can get mucked if you go in and mknod(1) by hand on a critical
device file and get the type,  major or minor numbers wrong
That's why there is a MAKEDEV script. So that you don't muck a command
line.

MAKEDEV wd0 won't break anything that is not already broken.

chris

Val Kilmer writes:
    MAKEDEV doesn't simply make files, it configures entire devices. /dev is a
    strange and dangerous place to go walking, which is why I say handle with
    care. You may even want to do the 'sh MAKEDEV wd0' from a floppy boot
    disk.

    On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Jesper [iso-8859-1] Blomström wrote:

    > Val Kilmer wrote:
    >
    > > This is REALLY weird. You may want to try doing a 'sh MAKEDEV wd0' as
    > > root, but that does seem kind of risky. I'd only really try that if no
   one
    > > else is able to make any other suggestions.
    > >
    > > Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
    > >
    > > Cory.

    > > > 1 harddrive (IDE) at which:
    > > >
    > > > 1 unused (size 63)
    > > > 1 primary dos partition 1834M    /dev/wd0s1
    > > > 1 freebsd partition  1996M       /dev/wd0s2
    > > > 1 unused (size 3024)
    > > >
    > > > CDROM is attached, in BIOS is HD primary master, CDROM secondary.
    > > >
    > > > the unused parts cannot be changed.

__
Chris Fedde	  <cfedde@sendmail.com>
303 773 9134