Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 1997 12:34:04 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Dick Olson <rolson@ns.awanet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to create additional swap partition

Dick Olson wrote:

> I have upgraded from 8 to 20MB of physical memory. Based on
> recommendations (2xRAM) I need to increase swap space. I have limited
> (BSD) file space but I do have some additional disk space (wd1) which
> was used as a DOS partition that I could use as a second SWAP partition.
> I have tried the following but was unable to boot FreeBSD after creating
> the partition.
>
>         /stand/sysinstall
>         customize
>         create partition
>         write
>         crash (lots of error msgs of assorted types)
>         Deleted partition in DOS
>         Did MAKEDEV wd1s2x added an tried sysinstall again
>         HD went into spin frenzy w/ "vnode_pager_input I/O error" etc
>         unable to boot
>         deleted created partition in DOS and recovered
>         Figured I have pushed my luck at this point
>         Ask for assistance
>
> I have Disk Manager to allow >528 for wd0 and use a bootmgr to use wd0
> DOS and wd1 FreeBSD. I was able to boot DOS and deleted the created
> FreeBSD partition and was able to recover to original state. I have
> tried three times with no success. Read all the manuals, usergroups, FAQ
> with no success. I am also using the generic kernel (FreeBSD 2.1.5,
> XFree86 3.1.2).

If I'm getting it right, you're trying to cerate a new FreeBSD slice on
a disk that already has one. In such a case, you can only boot from the
*first* BSD slice on the disk. This means that you must move your root
partition to the new slice. I may be wrong, but I think the only way out
is to reinstall...
(anyone care to correct me?)

Nadav