Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 2012 22:12:55 -0500
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Matthew Story <matthewstory@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: intent of tab-completion in /bin/sh in 9.0

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:00:44AM -0500, Matthew Story wrote:
> Just noticed that tab-completion in /bin/sh has been added in 9.0 (verified
> that it is not there in 8.0, dunno if it's there in 8.2, could probably go
> digging to figure it out).  In addition to the command history via
> <up>:<down> (which is present in 8.0) FreeBSD sh is now actually a pretty
> usable interactive shell.  I also noticed that the following bit has been
> removed from the sh(1):
>
>  This version has many features which make it appear similar in some
> respects to the Korn shell, but it is not a Korn shell clone like pdksh.
>
> Just wondering if the general direction here is attempting to provide a
> minimal POSIX shell, that is useful enough interactively to become the
> default root shell (supplanting csh)?  Or if there is just a general trend
> towards adopting more of the ksh feature-set.
>
> Relatively new to list, so if this has been discussed, apologies.

I inquired about this a few times before about MFC'ing the changes to 8-STABLE... needless to say it did not fall in the mix. I maintained some patches for a while until some major rollage happened and started including changes to other such areas like csh echo etc... at that time I dropped it because it became too much of a hassle.

It would be nice if the completion made it down to 8.X.

As for replacing roots shell (csh) I do not even see that as needed and a goal of mine to spend as little time as neccesary in root. The shell while I am in root never made a difference to me. Others may see differently.

--
;s =;