Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 19:24:31 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <clsn@raggedclown.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fish ? Who mentioned Fish ?

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 11:26:44AM -0500, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> I thought you'd left this list.

Well I have, sort of.
Waiting for Majordomo to wake up.

> > But Europeans, in general, with the exception of the British Government,
> > despise America. It is so fond of itself, so sure it is right.
>
> Sounds very much like you, that last line.  Have you conducted a survey
> of Europeans?

You see that is exactly, precisely, the point I was making.
My son, with no prompting from me, regards Americans as stupid.
Not all of them of course, but as a land besotted by it's idea that it
ia always right, that *it* is allowed to do anything because it is
America.
It goes on and on about freedom.
Do you think anyone in the world, who thinks, was not revolted by
the world trade centre destruction. That anyone who cares about human
beings could possibly understand that ?

No. Nobody with a wit of sense would understand that.
But what is America's reaction ? Start a war, Bush is itching to pull
the trigger. No-one seems to realise that America, through it's
arrogance, it's foreign policy, the violence it uses against the world,
is a despised nation. It is, and no I have not held a poll, but I know a
bit about Europe. I have lived/worked in much of it.

A few years ago, before the so-called end of the cold-war, a survey was
done in America about what young people perceived in the world. Do you
know that when a lot of the children were asked to point out Moscow on
the map, they pointed at a city called Paris, France ?
These children are the B17 pilots of the future.
God, I hope I am not under them when they fly over.

I am old enough to remember the 60's. I was there, around. I saw the
pictures of Vietnamese children, little kids, whose flesh was burning
off from Napalm. A present from President Johnson. I remember as a young
child, who went to school with many black kids, being staggered to hear
about "bussing", about the Ku Kluz Klan, about the apalling treatment of
native Americans.

I look at a land, where you, alone of Western Nations still allow a
state to execute, in public, people. That of all the cities I have been
to where have I seen the most crime, violence, fear, poverty and
degradation. Good old New York.

But the worse of all.
What gets my craw.
Is that the world is kind of forbidden from criticising the good old US.
That is almost an unpardonable offense. I have a lot of American
friends, I have read a lot of American books, I listen to American
music, I appreciate America's cultural, artistic and scientific
contributions to the world. But read your own critics, read Hunter S.
Thompson. Learn about lands where you are not asked for medical
insurance proof before you are treated after a road accident. Learn
about lands that do not hate America, but hate it's incorrigble,
unshakeable, mindless faith in itself. Many Americans question this
themselves. Everything is not free in America :)

And the right to bear arms. This is bollocks, and is a gross
misinterpretation of the American Constitution. Your constitution does
not give you the right to carry weapons. Read it, I have.

Listen to your writers, your singers, your poets, your film-makers.
Listen to the madness you support.
Want to know why I am so angry ?
Because your president is about to, given the chance, lead all of us
into another world war. When the boys come home in a box..Bin Laden is a
mad shit-head, so is Mr, sorry, President Bush. Someone should teach him
how to finish a sentence. I expect the CIA to be at my door, any moment
now...

I will repeat this.
That Vietnamese child, burning from Napalm.
That is *your* freedom.
It was not his.

--
Regards