Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 1995 09:55:43 -0700
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        trost@cloud.rain.com
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: secure/ changes...

In article <m0sb9Nw-00004XC.kithrup.freebsd.security@cloud.rain.com> you write:
>Part of what may be causing people to worry about importing encryption
>software is that some of it is illegal to *use* (and probably import)
>in the United States.  In particular, the international versions of
>PGP contain their own implementation of RSA, so any use of those
>versions of PGP are violations of PKP's patents on the algorithm.

That is a civil issue, not a criminal issue.  (Meaning, it's not illegal,
the most it would due is land you in a patent-infringement suit.)

It is not infringement to have the code, nor to distribute it.  It is
infringement to use it.  (It can also be considered infringement to
distribute it with the knowledge and intent that it be used, but that's a
derivation of infringement, if I understand correctly and nobody minds me
using a bit of mathematical metaphor ;).)

It is in no way illegal or infringement to simply import it.