Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 08:15:34 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Diffs to the dump utility, rewritten with respect to your comments

As Andreas Klemm wrote:

> main.c - line 167:
> 		abort dump if a blocksize > 32 (K) was chosen using
> 		dump's "b" option, because restore is unable to restore
> 		dumps with blocksizes over 32 K. Someone said here,
> 		there might be a bug in the scsi tape driver. This
> 		should be fixed as soon as possible.
> 		Users/Administrators are now protected from the worst
> 		case situation, that they can't restore their dump if
> 		they choosed a blocksize over 32. Dump does it all fine,
> 		but later, &@&%" ;-) "So this patch prevent's dump from
> 		being a BOFH tool ;-))"

While i personally think that mentioning the bug in the man page would
have been sufficient, this workaround should at least be marked with
XXX, until someone has fixed the driver.

Anyway, Andreas, as i've also written in a Usenet reply, i can *not*
confirm your observation.  I've done a couple of tests on a 2 GB
HP-DAT drive (forgot the exact version number, mail or call me at work
if you're interested), and everything worked fine.  Even an attempted
blocksize of 96 k did work.  Suprisingly, since i know that the driver
can only handle 64 k -- but it silently truncated the blocksize to 64
k, both on read and write.  So everything was okay.

I suggest you clarifying your point also with Julian Elischer, and/or
Justin Gibbs (dunno which adapter you're working with).

--
cheers, J"org