Date:      Sat, 11 Jun 2022 21:29:26 -0700
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: typing with broken arm

On 6/10/22 15:09, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> I just broke my wrist and find typing (coding) very hard (took me 5 mins to
> type this sentence for example).   Any ideas on how to make it easier to
> type/input code (Java, HTML and JavaScript)?

It would be helpful if we knew:

* Which wrist is injured, left or right?

* Do you have any use of the arm, hand, or fingers on the side with the
injured wrist?

* Is the disability temporary or permanent?  If temporary, how long?

On 6/10/22 23:34, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
 > Use "sticky keys" for alt/ctrl/shift/etc. so you don't need
telescopic fingers for typing e.g. <ctrl>+<u>

STFW several posts and articles also recommend that.  I did not think to
try it when my right hand was disabled.

On 6/10/22 19:04, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
 > Around 15 years ago , I suggested to a family friend to train
 > their two children to use their left hands like their right hands
 > as much as possible .

Ambidexterity is a very useful skill.  I work as an electrician.
Sometimes the only way to install materials and/or use tools is
upside-down, backwards, and/or with the non-dominant hand.

On 6/11/22 08:28, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
 > as soon as I'm
 > using the left hand only, I need to search the chars. Searching chars
 > is very time consuming. I needed 4 minutes to type the OPs initial
 > sentence.

I did some typing benchmarks:

* It took me 32 seconds to type the OP's original message with two
hands.  A few errors remained.  Additional time was required for
proofreading and corrections.

* It took me 2 minutes 0 seconds with my left hand alone, with more
errors and more time.

* It took me 2 minutes 28 seconds with my right hand alone, with more
errors and more time.

So:

* For myself, typing one-handed on a QWERTY keyboard is four to five
times slower than typing two-handed.

* Practice typing one-handed with no formal training gave measurable
improvements.  (STFW there are formal training methods and materials
available for one-handed typing.)

But, typing English prose is not the same as coding.  A QWERTY keyboard
is optimized for the former task using two hands, ten fingers, "home
position", and "touch typing".  Back in the day, typewriters in typing
classrooms had no markings on the keys!

Code has far more non-alphabetic characters than English prose, and
typing code is a smaller proportion of the total workflow.  I typically
open 6 terminals -- 2 for shell commands and 4 for Vim editing.  I use
the mouse to select which window is active, and to copy and paste text.
  My touch memory is incomplete -- I need to look when typing numbers
and punctuation.  Vim's command vs. insert mode drives me nuts.  When my
right hand was disabled, coding with my left hand alone was very
frustrating.

I wonder if an IDE with language-specific predictive/ assistive features
would be any better -- especially if it were configured for one-handed
typing with a specific hand.

Finally, this search produced some relevant hits:

https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=one%2Dhanded%20coding

David